The ESPN – Worldwide Leader in Sports is collaborating with a Chinese action sports platform to launch “X Games China.” Under that banner, ESPN and REnextop Entertainment will produce both summer and winter games starting in May.
“China is a significant global market and represents an exciting opportunity to connect the X Games brand to a country with such a profound history, culture and love for sports,” declared Tim Reed, ESPN X Games Vice President.
Shanghai is set to host the inaugural summer games, while officials are searching for a host city for this year’s winter games. The competitions will be televised on local Chinese television, on ESPN’s US platform, and through other international media outlets.
- For the first time in the X Games’ history of international events, this new collaboration will see both summer and winter events staged within the same country in the same year under the X Games banner.
- The first X Games China event will feature summer sport disciplines and is scheduled for late May in Shanghai.
- The inaugural X Games China winter event is slated for late November to early December, and has begun seeking host city and venue partners in China.
- X Games China will also feature musical performances, art installations and a festival experience.
- X Games China will have a distinctly Chinese flavor, showcasing the beautiful country, cities and culture of China in everything from the course designs to the medals, and highlighting the youth and sports culture in Shanghai throughout the festival village and live coverage.
- The full schedule, venue and ticket information for the X Games China 2019 summer event will be announced in the near future. Additional information on all X Games China events will be forthcoming on https://xgamesupdates.com
Domestically, this year’s X Games will be held in Minneapolis (Summer) and Aspen (Winter).